Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Christ Like Integrity

George Washington Carver I honestly didn't know much about him before today, and I still don't know a whole lot, but I saw something he said to his students that really caught my attention. He gave each of his students eight laws of integrity to live by. While reading through the list I was amazed at how little this kind of stuff is taught in schools these days. And it seems that many of them are even looked down on as something "people just don't do" anymore.



1.) Be clean both inside and out.
2.) Neither look up to the rich nor down on the poor.
3.) Lose, if need be, without squealing.
4.) Win without bragging.
5.) Always be considerate of women, children, and older people.
6.) Be too brave to lie.
7.) Be too generous to cheat.
8.) Take your share of the world and let otherstake theirs.


When was the last time you heard someone in school talk about being too brave to lie? Instead it seems like everyone (even in the church) accepts "little white lies" as not a lie, but simply just flattery. (In fact they are helping you by lying to you about your great dress, so you will feel better) *sarcasm*
People are so used to lying that to most people they don't even realize they are doing it! It has become second nature to many in our society. We use flattery as a way of promoting ourselves. We look like a nicer person a better person and a more noticed person when we flatter others. (Don't get me wrong, I am by NO means saying not to say nice things or complement people, after all Christ said to build eachother up in the Lord, that would be edifying to the church) but beware, in the last days people are said to use flattery as a means of promoting ones self.

What He said about not looking down on the poor and not looking up to the rich was such a profound statement for me. Mainly the don't look up the the rich. Don't give your honor to someone because of their status, instead give your honor to Jesus Christ and those who show the true life of Christ shining through them. By that you are honoring Christ.

I could say more but, I was thinking of writing this on my wall at home as 8 characteristics to display. So I thought Id share what my convictions were.
:) Be blessed today everyone!
<3Sher

No comments:

Post a Comment