Thursday, March 8, 2012

More love = Greater reward = More of God.

I've had a hard time with the verse that says to store up for yourselves treasures in heaven in Matthew 6:20, because if I do something nice for someone, either its just for them, to make them happy or help them, or its for God. I don't want it to be selfish and do it so I can have a bigger mansion, or prettier windows in heaven. So that verse has always perplexed me. How do I store up treasures and still make God happy? Maaybe this is my up bringing shining through on this. But I really want to do something just for God and not with some ulterior motive of greater riches in eternity.
That being said, last night at care group, our care group leader pointed something out that finally made sense to me. Read below.

Matthew 5:46 NIV

If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?

Matthew 6:20-21 NIV

But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Genesis 15:1 NIV

After this, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision:
"Do not be afraid, Abram.
I am your shield,
your very great reward."

Love= Reward= More of God.

Basically God is our reward. More of God, more knowledge and understanding of God. Now every one has different views on this I'm sure, but for me, I felt like, there is no greater treasure than to experience God Himself, and I will be glad to store up the treasure of more of God because I know he wants one ness with me.
I don't have a greek or hebrew understanding, so maybe treasure meant literal treasure, or reward means treasure. I don't know. When those verses were put together that way it shed light on something that placed a desire to REALLY store up treasure. I want more of God. In my life here and in heaven. And if giving to the poor, and feeding the homeless means I receive more of the greatest relationship in my life, I'm all for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment